views from inside the practice of a Sacred Intimate in Chicago

Hello! My name is Larry and welcome to my small corner of the web. I am happy that you have found your way here!

Sacred Intimacy is a way of working rather than a specific technique. As a Sacred Intimate, I employ many different forms of touch and holding space to help the client become more awake to his physical, erotic and sensory beauty and connection to All That Is.

I have been doing Sacred Intimate work for more than twenty years. In this time, I have encountered certain things in my clients over and over again - attitudes, thought patterns, actions - that bear comment. Also, in receiving body work, I have experienced both positive and negative things that impact the way I consider my own work and frame of mind when dealing with clients.

Commenting on these various mindsets or experiences would not be appropriate during a session because of time constraints, willingness of the client, or the actual nature of the subject. But here, potential or current clients have the time to read and absorb at leisure. So I hope to post short articles of interest that will help clarify certain things about the practice, the way that I work, and my opinions in ways I cannot do in person or on my web page.

Here's to living more comfortably and fully in these amazing bodies!!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Honoring the Small Healings

I just got through two weeks of minor health and body issues.  I was having tightness and spasms in my lower back and hip, followed by a medium-sized cold and there was a root canal thrown in the middle for good measure. None of this was life-threatening obviously, but these are just the sorts of things that affect your mobility and energy enough to push you out of your usual realm of physical activity.

As the various symptoms have abated (after two chiropractic visits and a lot of self-care, echinacea, hot tea and gentle stretching), I noticed that I was just slipping back into my usual sets of activities. I wasn’t worrying if my coughing would disturb people in a theater or if prolonged sitting would cause trouble for my back and hip. I just did it.

This morning when I awoke, not needing a pillow under my knees to cushion my back or being kept away by congestion, it hit me that I hadn’t given thanks for the healing that just occured. It was no miracle. It didn’t happen overnight. It was simply the body responding to care and attention over time - precisely the thing we tend to gloss over. What is “normal” and “balanced” is unacknowledged and goes by unremarked and unremarkable.

A long time ago, I heard a story about the English poet Christopher Smart (1722-1771), a troubled soul who is known to many only from Benjamin Britten’s setting of his “Rejoice in the Lamb”.  I was told that at some moment on the streets of London he fell to his knees and shouted: “Thank God for my feet!” At the time this was seen as proof of his mental instability. I think if someone did this near us on a city street, we might raise an eyebrow as well. But I applaud the spirit behind this - a vivid, surprising acknowledgment of the everyday, that which seems to need no mention yet which keeps us in this life in an important way.

So... I won’t fall to my knees on Michigan Avenue and yell this, but: “I give thanks for my hips and lower back! I give thanks for my clear sinuses!!”

Be well and savor your bodies and all that they are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment