I enjoy porn. I have always found it a fun addition to usual intimate contact and self-pleasuring. I am a visual kind of guy, so it’s images - both still and moving - that get me going rather than written stories.
The attitude of most gay men to porn is healthy in many respects, I feel. The act of enjoying porn does not carry a sense of transgressiveness or taboo-breaking that you might find in certain parts of society. Neither do you tend to find much condemnation and aversion. All good things.
In terms of Sacred Intimate work, problems arise when clients want porn and reality to mirror one another in a session. We have all seen the videos: hot masseur welcomes (often supposedly straight) client into his studio; massage quickly progresses to significant butt and genital play; client has significant sex play with the masseur; both have an orgasm.
First, let me say that having or enjoying this fantasy is not where my discomfort lies. It can certainly be fun to watch. And, if a client came to me and expressed his desire to reenact this scenario, I would be fine with that. In this form, it is a clearly articulated wish - parameters can be discussed and the experience can be created so that the client can get the most out of his fantasy being realized.
However in an unspoken and undefined form, I really feel there are several things amiss. Early on in my practice I realized that men are very slow to recognize subtle forms of abuse. In physical encounters, abuse could be defined as receiving any type of touch that you have not specifically agreed to or been asked about. This calls into serious question the practice of many bodyworkers (specific type of bodywork and/or licensing seem to be irrelevant here) simply to assume that every man wants a hand job or to have his butthole played with and that an erection automatically equals asking for a hand job.
Yes, being masturbated in a comfortable environment with no need of reciprocity can be hot and fun, but I now view this scenario without specific permission as abuse - abuse whose effects can ripple through the physical encounters (both intimate and non-) of each client.
I strive to short-circuit all aspects of this subtle abuse right from the start. At the beginning of certain types of sessions, I tell clients that a release will be perfectly fine. Then, at the point in the session where I would provide the release, I ask if this is what he wants, regardless of the visual cue of an erection or not. What this two-step process does is:
1. dispels the “will he, won’t he” tension that might otherwise exist in his mind right during the whole session
2. does not assume anything about the man’s desires of the moment regardless of physical reactions
3. provides another layer of safety, permission and ease for the man to have an orgasm.
After doing this for ten years, I can tell you that about fifty percent of men, erection or not, will say that simply having their cock and balls massaged without an orgasm will be just fine. This reaffirms my belief in how I approach this subject and truly empowers the man on the table to make his own decisions about his experience. It is an effective, direct and ease way to introduce men to the concept of erotic choice, something that is sorely lacking in our culture.
There is also another part of the “don’t ask, just stroke” scenario that is problematic - the role of the masseur. Aside from perpetuating the notion that subtle forms of abuse are routine and irrelevant, a masseur’s unasked sexual involvement with a client skews the intention and purpose of a session. I do not believe it is possible to pursue one’s own sexual fulfillment AND hold a client’s best interests at the same time. I simply do not think that men’s brains are wired to function simultaneously on these two levels. Therefore, for some period of time, the session becomes all about the masseur, or at the very least NOT about the client. Since one of the primary jobs of the Sacred Intimate is to connect the client more fully with his own body and perhaps even his own divine nature, this removing of attention from the client’s needs in favor of the masseur’s needs seems irresponsible. There are very few things I consider “absolute boundaries” in Sacred Intimate work; this is one of them. Please understand that I am NOT saying that we must not get turned on by our clients at all costs or anything of the sort - this would be repressive and counterproductive. On the contrary, I think it’s great for a client to see that we embody our physicality proudly and powerfully. However, I think we also need to be supremely mindful that we are in the position of being teachers of erotic embodiment and that there are responsible ways and means of expressing this embodiment toward our clients.
The bottom line: leave the unspoken aspects of the massage fantasy on the dvd or the internet. Rather, embrace the concept of erotic choice deeply so that both client and Sacred Intimate can both flower fully in their roles.
well said, Larry. I appreciate the reminder and encourage never to make assumptions and always to find a way to make the choice of erotic interaction conscious and verbal.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and commenting, Don. Much appreciated.
ReplyDelete/||\
(I'm told that's the "namaste emoticon"!!
Since one of the primary jobs of the Sacred Intimate is to connect the client more fully with his own body and perhaps even his own divine nature, this removing of attention from the client’s needs in favor of the masseur’s needs seems irresponsible. There are very few things I consider “absolute boundaries” in Sacred Intimate work; this is one of them. Thanks, Larry, for this blog. It triggers an issue which has emerged for me that I'd like you to respond to. As participant in a local men's massage exchange, I've made it known that I offer my practice of sacred intimacy. A potential client and I had coffee to talk about making an appointment. I discovered that his being totally closeted to his wife and grown children raised some ethical concerns for me personally: like, can I be in complicity with with what I judge to be a dishonest and therefore destructive relationship? Anything you could share from your experience which might help me clarify my dillema?
ReplyDeleteHi there and thanks for reading!
ReplyDeleteYou raise an important issue. Like many important issues, it doesn't have an easy answer!! I can tell you that if I excluded every man from my practice who was in some version of what you describe, I wouldn't have a good percentage of my clientele.
I was having a version of this conversation with a bodyworker friend in Austin last night, but it was over HIV status. He has never been tested and has a lot of fear. I told him, that while you could be a great bodyworker and help people from many angles, Sacred Intimacy (for me) requires a special kind of personal honesty that is then modeled for our clients. He needed to change the subject...
But... I do feel in some sense that what our clients do with the information and experience we pass on to them is none of our business. If we can show them loving hearts, honest approach, willingness to be open and vulnerable, and a new paradigm for living in these bodies, that's really enough.
If someone were coming to me and it revolved around HOW to come out and go the route through Sacred Intimate work, that's one thing. But if he is coming to me simply to have a safe loving space to experience more of his body and self, I would respect that as well.
Blessings!
Larry
Thanks Larry. As always, your insight and your clarity inspire me. If I may pursue this, part of my confusion results from my dual role: (1)sacred intimate, vs. (2)fellow participant in massage exchange group (including erotic massage). It might be as simple as keeping those two roles separate in a given session. But that strikes me as legalistic and unrealistic (rather like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin). A part of me feels this is just my overly moralistic scrupulosity, and another part feels rather that this is a matter of integrity. Thanks for 'listening.'
ReplyDeleteYou're very welcome!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what you identify as "legalistic and unrealistic" is either. It seems crucial to me. In the role as Sacred Intimate, one must be the Leader and the Watcher. So even though the client always has the choice of what does or does not happen in a session, it is the Intimate who creates and holds the container. This is a very different energy and role from being a fellow participant in a group touch exchange. Though I have sincerely wanted to several times, I have found it difficult to be Intimate and friend to someone. I do think it's possible, but both people have to be willing and able to understand the difference in roles in the different facets of relationship.